Joseph Smith, the Prophet and Seer of the Lord, has done more, save Jesus only, for the salvation of men in this world, than any other man that ever lived in it. … He lived great, and he died great in the eyes of God and his people; and like most of the Lord’s anointed in ancient times, has sealed his mission and his works with his own blood…
On June 27, 1844, Joseph Smith paid the ultimate price for his unyielding faith in Jesus Christ and his unwavering commitment to serve God with all his heart, might, mind, and strength. He gave his life for the kingdom of God.
On this day, as we remember the sacrifices he made (not just on the day he died but on all the days he lived), I testify that the work he began with a humble prayer in a grove of trees in upstate New York when he was only fourteen is the work of God.
Because the work is true, here are five things I know.
- God, our Heavenly Father, is real. We are His children. He loves us. He has provided a plan for us to come home.
- Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer. He lives. To make our Father’s plan a reality, He atoned for the sins of the world. His Atonement allows us to overcome spiritual death (a separation from God) and physical death (a separation of our spirit from our body). He leads His restored Church on the earth today.
- Joseph Smith was and is a prophet of God. He was called by God to restore Christ’s Church on the earth in our day to prepare for Christ’s return.
- The Book of Mormon is the word of God, translated by the gift and power of God by Joseph Smith the prophet. I know because I have read it, studied it, and felt the confirming witness of the Holy Ghost that it is true. I don’t have to convince anyone of this fact because everyone is invited to find out just like I did. The promise of the witness of its truth is available to all.
- Russell M. Nelson is a prophet of God today. God is consistent. He calls prophets today just as He did in ancient days to lead His people so we know which way to go. When we follow His chosen prophets, we are safe.